Opportunity for a Senior Accountant/Controller
October 29, 2019
Stowe Electric Department is located in the highly desirable tourist and ski resort town of Stowe, Vermont. If you are looking to live and work in an area with beautiful mountains, great outdoor entertainment, exceptional schools and a quality of life unsurpassed - than this may be your dream position. Stowe Electric Department is a successful utility expanding into renewables and beyond. We are seeking a Senior Accountant who will be responsible for the day to day financial operations of the department. This key position includes journal entries, reconciling sub-ledger to general ledger account balances, the production and presentment of monthly and periodic financial reports and assessing and implementing internal controls. The Senior Accountant will also be responsible for the monthly balance sheet, income statement and changes in financial position in addition to budget variance analyses. The Senior Accountant, in conjunction with the General Manager and Director of Operations, will be also be responsible for the design and preparation of budgets for approval by the Board of Electric Commissioners. In addition to the above responsibilities, the Senior Accountant will be responsible for working with our outside auditors on a biannual basis and for maintaining and reconciling fixed assets schedules, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with GAAP and FERC regulations. The Senior Accountant is responsible for the supervision of the Accountant. We are looking for an exceptional individual that has prior utility experience and that has the ability to roll up their sleeves and hit the ground running.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task and work in a fast past environment.
- Advanced computer skills including Excel, Word, Outlook and Access
- An understanding of how to navigate political processes and interact with customers, regulators and State Officials.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Minimum Education & Experience required:
- Minimum of an associate’s degree with a major field of emphasis in Accounting although a bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Five or more years of experience in a senior accounting position or in a position of leadership within an accounting department.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of GAAP for municipals and FERC accounting requirements preferred.
- Financial and analytical acumen in addition to experience with budget development.
- Salary range $90,000 - $110,000.
- Stowe Electric Department offers an extraordinarily generous benefit package with little or no expense to the employee which includes health, dental and life insurance, short & long term disability, Paid-Time-Off after a probation period and holidays. In addition, SED provides each employee with a very generous employer contribution to a 401(a) tax-deferred retirement savings plan and sponsors an employee 457(b) deferred compensation plan.
For a complete job description and more information on the Stowe Electric Department visit www.stoweelectric.com
Interested parties should forward a cover letter, resume and three references to:
Ellen Burt, General Manager
Stowe Electric Department
PO Box 190
Stowe, VT 05672-0190