January 2020 - Opening for 1st or 2nd Class Line Maintainer PDF Download
The Town of Stowe Electric Department (SED) has been providing the community of Stowe with reliable electric service since 1911. SED takes pride in providing outstanding customer service to our 4,250 Residential and Commercial customers. We are seeking a Certified 1st Class Line Maintainer to join our team of highly skilled professionals. Although 1st Class certification is preferred, SED may consider qualified 2nd Class Line Maintainers/Apprentices.
General Summary of Position:
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Operations and the Working Foreman, SED Line Maintainers work as part of a crew and are responsible for ensuring SED customers receive safe and reliable electricity in an efficient manner. SED Line Maintainers perform varied and responsible duties requiring a thorough knowledge of safety practices and must be able to exercise judgement and initiative in completing tasks.
General Summary of Essential Job Functions:
- Installation and maintenance of underground and overhead distribution system.
- Working energized conductors (primary and secondary)
- Setting, framing and guying poles
- Respond to emergency/regular repair/maintenance of overhead and underground distribution lines
- Conduct switching and tagging operations on VELCO electrical systems
- Stringing and Sagging Conductors
- Mounting Equipment, setting transformers
- Transformer Connections, grounding equipment
- Tree Trimming
- Street Lighting
- Locating underground lines for Dig Safe
- Trouble shooting problems
- Working with safety and VOSHA requirements
- Maintaining training and safety skills through scheduled classes
- Any other duties assigned by the Director of Operations or Management
- Safely operate and maintain the SED operations fleet such as digger derricks, bucket trucks and excavators
- Climbing poles
- Installation and removal of banners
- Participation in a rotating on-call schedule
- Respond to requests, comments and/or complaints from customers in a professional manner
- Cleaning and stocking line trucks
Qualifications and Basic Requirements:
- Candidates must be at least 18 years of age, have high school diploma or GED and a minimum of 2 years of experience as a 1st Class Line Maintainer or 4 years as a 2nd Class.
- 1st Class Line Maintainer certification preferred. Will consider well qualified apprentices.
- Proficient in safe rubber gloving techniques
- Knowledge of electric utility construction standards, National Electric Safety Code, and VOSHA/OSHA standards.Valid Commercial Driver’s License or ability to obtain one within 60 days of employment.
- Ability to be available for on-call schedules and emergency call outs.
- Must live within a 30 minute radius of the Town of Stowe or be able to re-locate within 6 months
This is a non-exempt Union position. Stowe Electric Department currently offers competitive wages from $29.15 – $38.10/hr. (depending on experience) with the opportunity for over-time and on-call pay. In addition, we offer an outstanding benefits package which includes: health, dental, vision, 401(a), Paid-Time-Off, holidays and training opportunities. New employees will receive a minimum of 6 weeks Paid-Time Off after only 1 year.
Stowe Electric Department is an Equal Opportunity employer and highly encourages women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.
Position will remain open until filled:
Town of Stowe Electric Department
Attn: David Kresock Director of Operations
P.O. Box 190, Stowe, VT 05672
Fax: (802) 253-4555